Saturday, February 16, 2008

RIP, HD-DVD



Well, it's safe to say that the life of HD-DVD has been cut short. Earlier this week, Netflix and Wal-Mart announced they are dropping HD-DVD support and going exclusive to Blu-Ray. This is all after Warner Brothers went exclusive to BD on January 5. So, is this truly the death blow to HD-DVD? My friends, I believe it is, at least according to this article. I myself am sad to see the format go. It was the first High Def formant I bought, mainly most of my favorite movies are from Universal, and Universal is (currently) exclusive to HD-DVD. That's why it will always have a special place in my...void where a heart should be. Now, however, we have the fanboys who come out from the moss infected caves to troll and generally bother everyone else. The biggest of these trolls? The equally hated Micheal Bay.

Well, Micheal Bay is a strong supporter of BD, but the man has a tendency to cross that fine line between support and fanaticism. Never I have seen a grown man, let alone a famous film director, act in such a childish way before. When Paramount went exclusive to HD-DVD, he went on a small internet rant saying that he won't come back for Transformers 2 because of the deal. Of course, he simmered down the next day, but, jeez, he made himself look like spoiled brat angry that mommy didn't buy that piece of candy he wanted. Now, he's doing it again. How can Bay say that he was the one the told everybody? Umm, Micheal...EVERYONE ALREADY KNEW YOU BOOB! "No one believed me." Dude, no one wants to listen to a guy who makes himself sound like an immature 12 year old. You weren't the oracle who foresaw the fall of HD-DVD. You were just a strong supporter of BD who quickly turned into a fanboy/troll. Whatever milligram of respect this man had I'm sure was lost soon after this. Grow up, Bay.

Anywho, I'm glad to get that off my chest. Like I said, the Sony/PS3 fanboys are coming out calling everyone stupid for having bought HD-DVD. My question is, why? HD-DVD is just as good BD, even BD has more storage capacity than HD. They both look and sound just as good (I know, since I have both)and they both have/had a great selection of movies. The only thing is, HD had better special interactive features and had the ability to have double sided discs for consumers who still hadn't made up their minds. These fanboys thrive on putting people down, and it fucking annoys. Seriously, they act as if all HD disks and players are just going to stop working. No they won't. And, to any troll that reads this, I am perfectly happy with my 20+ HD collection. The only difference now is that I should start shopping for BD now. Also, they act as if the PS3 is now going to dominate the market and crush all of its competition. No, it won't. If anything, all the consoles will have an incredible year. The only thing is that the PS3 will have a significantly better year than last. That's really it.

Now that I'm done with my rant, I can go on. So, HD is dead and BD will most likely thrive, right? Not necessarily. Remember folks, the market still heavily favors standard DVDs. High Def DVDs only make up a small percentage of the market. Just because BD has won this format war doesn't mean it will be the de facto standard for all future DVDs. It still has long way to go before it even permeates the DVD market. However, with HD sadly out of the way, we'll just have to see if BD can continue it's success into the years. I can't really say whether or not BD will still be around a few years from now, but I can say that we will witness an interesting year for BD, at least in terms of films not games (that's another subject).

So, with a heavy heart, I say farewell, HD! You had a good run, and gave me a pretty extensive HD collection. Now, all I need is Jurassic Park in some High Def format. That will be a glorious day indeed!

Oh, and I promise I'll update more often. Hopefully. Maybe.

No comments: